1. In which of the following years was the first Railway line between Bombay and Thane laid?
2. Visakhadatta sketches the event after the death of Samudragupta in his work ________________
(B) Devi Chand Guptam
3. Sati was declared illegal and punishable by the Regulation XVII during the Governor Generalship of ______________
(A) Lord William Bentinch
(B) Lord Canning
(C) Lord Ripon
(D) Lord Dalhousie
4. The rock-cut temples of Mahabalipuram were built under the patronage of the ______________
(A) Chola Kings
(B) Pandya Kings
(C) Pallava Kings
(D) Satavahana Kings
5. Babar came to India originally from ______________
6. Lord Curzon is best known for which of the following?
(A) Universities Act of 1904
(B) Partition of Bengal in 1905
(C) Indian Councils Act of 1892s
(D) Government of India Act of 1909
7. Though Ashoka had many sons, the inscriptions mentioned only one who is not mentioned in any other source. He is ________________
8. During the Indian Freedom Struggle ‘The Deccan Educational Society’ was founded by __________
(A) B G Tilak
(B) Dadabhai Naroji
(C) GK Gokhale
(D) M G Ranade
9. During Aurangzeb’s reign, whose duty was it to see that people lived their lives in accordance with the ‘Shariat’?
10. At the time, when Nadir Shah attacked Delhi, the Mughal Emperor was ______________
(A) Ahmad Shah
(B) Bahadur Shah
(C) Muhammad Shah
(D) Shah Alam II
11. An Arab astronomer who all the way went to Varanasi and studied Sanskrit language and astronomy there, for a decade was ______________
(A) Al Beruni
(B) Amir Khusrau
(C) Al Mashar
(D) Al Bidari
12. According to the Buddha, the cause of all human sorrows is trishna which means ______________
(A) desire for worldly things
(B) desire for material enjoments and worldly things
(C) worldl attachments
(D) hyperactivity of mind
13. Where is the famous Vrupaksha temple located?
14. Who was the first speaker of the Indian Parliament?
(A) GV Mavalankar
(B) KM Munshi
(C) Dr Rajendra Prasad
(D) Dr BR Ambedkar
15. Which animal is engraved on most of the Harappan seals?
(A) Humpless bull or Unicorn
16. Which one of the following is not a feature of North Indian temple architecture?
(B) Garbha Griha
17. Universities in the Presidency towns in India were established in _________________
18. The Treaty of Bassien was signed with the British by Peshwar ______________
(A) Madhav Rao
(B) Balaji Baji Rao
(C) Baji Rao I
(D) Baji Rao II
19. Who laid the foundation of Portuguese power in India?
(A) Vasco da Gama
(B) Bartholomew Dias
(C) Alfonso de Albuquerque
(D) None of the above
20. Who amongst the following Englishmen, first translate Bhagvad- Gita into English?
(A) William Jones
(B) Charles Wilkins
(C) Alexander Cunningham
(D) John Marshall